Looking back at the noughties...


It is 2011 and the noughties are behind us. This post is the first of several looking back at the head wear and fashion from 2000 to 2009. Giving a nod to the glorious and not so glorious fashions of the recent past.

In 2000 I began year 10 (I'm giving away my age now). My interest in fashion had only just been ignited, I was still ignorant in many respects and made my share of fashion blunders. The only hats I owned were the baseball cap variety and a witches hat from my tenth birthday (that incidentally after long thought lost, turned up last week!).

Though my memory may be a bit fuzzy about the details, photo's never lie! I have an extensive magazine collection including classics from the 1970's and 1980's. Magazines have just about taken over my life. At one point I think I was buying 5 fashion magazines a month and that's not including the other magazine genre's. I only keep the best, I have every copy of Australian Vogue from Apr 2001 to the present day and every edition of Australian Harpers Bazaar from Sept 2002 to Jan/Feb 2010 (ever since Alison Veness-McGourty left, it just wasn't the same). My current love is Russh, with only 6 issues a year I have every copy since Mar/Apr 2006.

It's October 2000 and Christine Anu is on the cover of Australian Vogue and purple is everywhere. The only hat within the pages is a purple wide brimmed sun hat, still a hangover from the 90's. It reminds me of that hat worn by Andie MacDowell in Four Weddings and a Funeral. One thing I did notice was the unflattering lighting on quite a few celebrities, they obviously hadn't discovered photoshop.

Stay tuned for the next installment, 2001 and the coming of the gypsy queen or should I say the mutton dressed as lamb look.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...