Looking back at the noughties...part 2






It is April 2001 the tuxedo is the flavour of the month. Rockabilly is making a comeback and denim frayed and bleached to within an inch of its life is all the rage.

I am in year 11 trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. They don't tell us that ten years on, we may still not have the answer.

On the headwear front Chanel favoured netting, Ungaro headscarves, YSL boaters and wide brimmed straw hat and Dior hair rollers with headscarves.

September 2001 the gypsy queen cometh in all her blousy and frilly glory. Charlize Theron is on the cover of Australian Harpers Bazaar and America's Sweethearts and the remake of Planet of the Apes has just hit the big screen. The wedge is new big thing, a homage to the 1970's they are shiny and new and wouldn't look a miss on the feet of Carrie Bradshaw.

On a sadder note when this edition of Harpers went to print the September 11 attacks, were only something that featured in a bad dream. I remember seeing the second plane hit. I had been watching a film. At first I couldn't believe that it was really happening. However when I realised it was on every channel I looked on in horror. At fifteen watching it on my own (my parents had been out and my siblings were asleep in bed) it was hard to conceive that something like this could happen.

This week after 10 years the US Forces have finally caught and killed the man who was the behind the attacks. I can't say that I condone the reaction that some deem necessary. I was fortunate not to know any of the victims, so I'm not going to point the finger and say you shouldn't be happy he's dead. But by the same token is cheering and singing in the streets really appropriate when anybody dies, regardless of who they were and what they did?

Next part 3, 2002 sexy is back!

(Images taken from Harpers Bazaar Australia, April 2001)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...