Where have all the colours gone?


I love black, it’s great. Having a fat day? Throw on some black. This clever colour (or absence of colour, depending on how scientific you want to get) hides a multitude of sins. It is also the staple of the fashion set. Whether you think that is a good or bad thing, I leave to you to decide.

All I would like is a bit more variety. Purple, blue, red, green, where have all the colours gone? For a country that experiences 35 degree days, has bright sunlight and dare I say it somewhat drab surroundings, why oh why are we subjected to boring dull clothes. Have we turned into nuns over night? Or are we so self conscious of our figures that we couldn’t possibly splash on a little colour.

Playing it safe seems to be the mantra of the high street store. Well I’m saying I’ve had enough. I don’t want to fade into the background. I don’t want to feel like I’m wearing a uniform. I want the bright confident feeling you can only get from slipping into a cherry red dress, with a pair of killer purple heels.

I’m all for trends, but with the beige epidemic that has plagued us for the past 4 seasons, the only alternative is black. The reprieve this season seems to be orange, which has the horrible side effect of highlighting every freckle on your face. Making you look orange, as well as wearing it.

I fear I’m not alone in my disappointment and with winter fast approaching, I’m not going to hold my breath for the bright colours to suddenly to appear. (Although turning blue would add another dimension to my black outfit.)

I guess I’ll just have to wait yet another season, cross my fingers and pray to the fashion gods for a vibrant brighter future!

(Pictured Russh cover for February 2011, classic example of the beige epidemic.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...