Spring Racing... What you should be wearing this spring racing carnival...

Melbourne Cup is only a couple months away and for milliners it is all steam ahead to plan and execute their creations. I have been busy putting together my outfit for the all important Spring Fashions on the Field. This year I have put all my design and sewing skills to the test to produce, what I hope will be an award wining outfit. There are no sneak peeks, I'm afraid you will have to wait until the day before I reveal the finished look. All I can say is I have taken a leaf out of Audrey's book and gone for structured elegance. Kept you guessing I hope!?!

What I can give you are my tips on how to dress in style this spring racing season...

Colour
Chloe Printed silk-twill dress
You can't go wrong with monochrome. Black and white is everywhere this Spring and is very suitable for race wear.

Antonio Berardi Woven-paneled crepe dress

Floral prints are also an excellent choice for those that prefer a brighter look.

Erdem Ivy silk-blend jacquard dress

Style

Race wear shouldn't be too reveiling. Skirts at knee length, no bustiers, strapless tops or plunging necklines. It isn't a night club, in fact Ascot in the UK has banded women from wearing strapless or spaghetti strap tops in the Royal Marquee.


RED Valentino Embroidered silk dress

Something elegant and sophisticated is the order of the day. Why don't you try some of the new 60's inspired dresses, or a midi skirt with a chiffon blouse? Just make sure you have a cami on underneath.

Roksanda Ilincic Hunter silk-blend crepe top

Accessories

If you go to the races you must wear a hat, a flower or headband won't pass muster. It doesn't need to provide shade, it just has to be a knock out!

I favour hats made of fabric (preferably in the same fabric as your outfit) or raffia this Spring, I tend to find that sinimay hats look quite cheap, especially if the hat is mass produced. If you do tend toward a sinimay hat, try and add a personal touch to customise your look.

Shoes and bag should match in either colour or texture, as long as it goes with the rest or the look. Jewellery is also a consideration, minimal is best for a fusy outfit and a statement piece for something plainer. Think gold this season as your metal of choice.

I hope you feel armed and ready to embrace spring racing fashion this season! Have a little flutter and maybe you could win $800 like I did last year on a $10 mystery bet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...