WAIFT Graduate Parade 2011...tales of twentytwo...

I just had to include this shot from backstage, the model had no idea I was taking her photo. She looks so beautiful and serene.
Two of the gorgeous guests on the night

Backstage dressing

Striking a pose backstage

'Blonde Bombshells' ready after hair and makeup

So many hands make light work!

This dress caught my eye on the racks.

As a past graduate I have a soft spot for the West Australian Institute of Fashion & Textiles ( WAIFT ). I know from experience how much time and work goes into putting together your collection. Fellow students and myself would spend many nights working into the wee hours of the morning, only to get up at 7:00 to do the same all over again. I think I lost 5kg in a week during that period. It is not an experience although rewarding, I would care to repeat. University felt like a breeze in comparison.

The stage is set...

Opening film

Opening film

After holding the grad show at the Burswood for the last few years it was back at UWA. Not in Winthrop Hall where my graduation show was held, but in the Octagon Theatre. It was a nice change from the huge Burswood Venue, that was a bit of a turn off for me. Especially when your competing with several other event goers for a parking space. The Octagon was altogether a more intimate space. "We wanted to bring back a more intimate feeling. The Burswood parades had just become too big with 800 people attending last year." Coordinator Adele Staveley said.

'little bandit' by Jenni Stewart

'HAUNT D. DUKE' by Rachel Motteram

'iamsam' by Sam Donaldson

Titled 'tales of twentytwo', this year's graduates did not disappoint. The parade opened with a beautiful short film of a photo shoot the of the student's collections. These photo's were used in their 'catalogue' that took the form of loose postcards (as pictured below).( In past years the students have produced bags for the show, that are still being used by members of my family. This year however they decided to instead give beautifully hand-made note books covered with recycled denim.)

The collections were polished and slick, no less than I would expect from a WAIFT graduate. I have to confess at being disappointed with last years show. However 'tales of twentytwo' put last years graduates in the shade. Collection after collection of creative design and beautifully cut clothes were paraded down the catwalk. Features that made an appearance were Muff's (hand warmers, usually made of fur), leather cutout pieces and silk organza in pastel pinks.


I took so many photos on the night I couldn't fit them all on my blog. So you will have to go to my new flickr photostream (or 'click' on above images) to see them all.




These postcards showing one outfit from each students collection was a gift on the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...