Looking back at the noughties...part 4



The year is 2003 and I am in my first year at Tafe studying Clothing Production (Fashion). It was a completely foreign environment to the all girls high school I attended the year before. That is apart from the fact that there was only 3 guys and 77 girls doing the course. (The poor guys were very outnumbered.)

I already knew the sewing basics, now I was learning how to use an industrial sewing machine, pattern making and mastering the art of using colour.

This was when my magazine collection really began taking shape. When you tell people your studying fashion you get inundated with offers of fabric, clothing and you guessed it magazines. This is how I acquired the 1970's and 1980's issues from a family friend. I was also given a collection of British Vogue's from Judy Burbury of Adam Heath Boutique, Claremont.

In the January/February Harpers Bazaar Australia 2003, Donna Karan is showing off her new figure thanks to the raw food diet. Health has influenced fashion with the sporty look the main feature of the issue. The other stand out is the length of skirt hems, short, super short, crotch grazing short.

April's 2003 Vogue Australia was focused on romance. Floaty dresses, floral prints, soft hues, with an old world feel. Inspired by films the Award winning 'The Pianist' and 'The Hours' where Nicole Kidman donned the prothetic 'nose'.

This is when it all began, the fringe, that long poking in your eye fringe. We all had one, but unfortunately when you wear glasses it doesn't really work. So last year I decided to grow it out. Now for the 1st time in my life I haven't got a fringe!

Stay tuned for part 5, 2004, things are looking up!

(Images are from Vogue Australia, April, 2003)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...