The Genie in the lamp...


Just lately I have become enamoured of turbans. I made this silver turban for a 1920's costume a few years ago. Originating from Asia and the Middle East, they became very fashionable during the 1940's, when the materials to produce hats were scarce.

All you needed was a scarf, wrap it, tie it and twist and you had a hat. I found a film just recently which showed how this was done. You can find it at http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=38179

Because of this film I have been experimenting with the turban look, but my mother thinks it makes me look like a washer woman and at times I am inclined to believe her!

1 comment:

  1. I saw a elderly lady wearing a turban on the weekend. It was made of beige felt and looked like she'd had it for years!x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...